Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Roxanne Carter in Issue #1

Three cheers! We have another contributor. Roxanne Carter's work builds its own murky atmosphere in your brain, then sits you down and makes you watch the characters wade through it. It is theoretical but not preachy, plot-light but not absent of story-driving energy. It's beautifully and carefully written, and we're happy to have her aboard.

Head to Persephassa.com to read her; she is one of those rare and lovely authors who keeps a large collection of her work online. She's also been in Caketrain, Everyday Genius, Drunken Boat, and Fact-Simile. Have a gander also at her drawings, and this film accompanying her MFA thesis, Glamorous Freak: How I Taught My Dress to Act.



Fun Fact: Roxanne either makes quilts or is plagued by my problem of having an Internet go-getter with the same name (in which we find that the Tracy Bowling who trains police dogs is not the same as the Tracy Bowling who writes stories, though the Tracy Bowling who trains police dogs is unfortunately the more popular search result for both "blog" and "book"). Roxanne, however, has fought her way past the quilter to the top of the Google search, and wins my admiration for this victory in addition to her others.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this internet doppelganger problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nemeses are "drunk tim dicks in tenby" (which only bugged me when a potential employer searched me; could I get to Tenby I probably would be drunk) and the one who recently joined the Brighton Tea Party.

    Persephassa looks like a very full site. I'm looking forward to checking out Roxanne's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i'm different than the quilter roxanne carter who's published many quilting books, but i also DO quilt, to add to the confusion. it's relaxing to cut & piece together the blocks. anyhow, thanks for the write up!

    ReplyDelete