Saturday, March 19, 2011

Gatorade: Lime & Cucumber Reviewed

Living in New Mexico, you get a fair number of special versions of things featuring lime and chili powder. Lime because it is the most popular fruit in Mexico, and chili powder because it is the most popular powdered chili in Mexico. We have lime-flavored hot Cheetos, for instance, which are pretty awesome, though they also taste suspiciously like Fruit Loops. 

Today at the grocery store Tracy and I discovered a Gatorade that declares itself proudly as lime and cucumber-flavored. The packaging tells us that this abomination is called "Limon Pepino" in Spanish. Honestly I didn't know cucumber had a flavor, and I definitely don't know how it's going to translate to the medium of Gatorade. I am now going to liveblog/review/liviewblogre my first bottle of lime-cucumber Gato-Rade. "Rehidrata, repone, y reactiva para mantener tu desempreno cuando mas lo necesitas."

11:15:12: I am now opening the bottle.

11:22:17: I have now opened the bottle.

11:22:22: It smells exactly like ten cucumbers. This is incredible.

11:22:33: I'm bringing it to my mouth, now. I'm going to ingest some of this beverage.

11:22:35: It only tastes like one cucumber, if the cucumber was dipped in lime juice for a few seconds and then dissolved in water over a period of months. And then they poured some lemon Kool-Aid in.

11:23:47: It's kind of salty. Like brine, except if the brine came in the form of a powder like that dehydrated lemonade stuff, and then you stirred water into it and there's your brine, all liquidy.

11:25:02.0008910003: I do feel pretty refreshed, however. I'm going to eat a cucumber with salt whenever I'm thirsty from now on.

12:05:57: So like the enduring mystery of this thing is why they made it smell so much more like cucumber than it actually tastes. The flavor is, once you accept that you're tasting cucumber, pretty much fine. But the smell is extremely off-putting. It makes me not want to drink what I objectively know will be an okay drink. This is a mistake.

Looking forward to cucumber Doritos, though.

31 comments:

  1. im pretty gay for this gatorade. Im pretty gay for you too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure what a pepino is, but i think theres one in my pants. A really tiny pepino. In fact, if i showed you a picture of it, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was a penis, or a burnt french fry from McDonalds

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess yall only know cucumbers in salad not with salt and lime try going to the flea market and eat a cup of this stuff then youll understand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curious New MexicanMay 1, 2011 at 5:49 AM

    Whereabouts in New Mexico do you live? And exactly where did you get this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know youd like to feel special but they have lime flavored stuff everywhere not just in New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently tried it and brought back memories...when I was a little boy my mom would cut up cucumbers and add lemon and chili powder to them. When I would finish the cucumbers I would drink the lemon ...and this gatorade tasted the same!!! Real good!!! They also have a watermelon citrus one.oh and I live in Phx, Arizona. So im pretty sure New Mexico isn't the only place you can find them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought one on Friday and i cant stop drinking it. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is awesome I love it
    Sandy from Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought some yesterday, my sister and I tasted it, i love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. My nephews are really picky with fruit and vegetables and only like soda. After having them taste this new drink. They love it and that's all they want to drink. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tink y'all er gaey! My baby fatder wants to try dis out but Wes to pour to by tit! If y'all cud let my baby fatder no were to geght tit that would meen alot!! Also if one of y'all cud spear a cuple buks to by dis tat wud b good tu:) tanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried this new gatorade and it taste fuckin incredible. Its so delicious I am hooked on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wtf No Body Cares What Time You Open It !

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  15. i did not read the label beyond Lime upon drinking...big ass mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Add tequila and crushed ice. You now have the perfect summer beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought some yesterday it was fantastic. If you ever had a cucumber Collins on a hot day then you would enjoy this drink but without the gin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in Dallas, Tx and this drink is readily available everywhere, tastes great.. BTW New Mexico sucks. Too many low down dirty Mexicans. Not the good hardworking kind like in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in Dallas 6 years, Albuquerque 5 years, and many other places, and NM by far has a lot less bigoted assholes than Dallas. And the food is better. And, by the way, Tex-Mex sucks, New Mex is tasty.

      Delete
  19. I think in a new post I'd love to hear how chocolate with peanuts is better than chocolate with hazelnuts and how Hershey makes the best tasting chocolate in the world. As to Gatorade - forget the flavors, google a little about the history of it and you will see it's a scam like many others. It's not what hydrates you best, it's all about the marketing and peoples' flavor preferences. Ah yes - in case you didn't catch my drift - the lime-cucumber Gatorade is the best tasting water + sugar I've ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. how come it takes 7 minutes to open the bottle alone?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was pretty upset when what I thought was my regular lime gatorade tasted/smelled like a mermaid's vagina.

    ReplyDelete
  22. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY THE BEST GATORADE EVER INVENTED YOU IGNORANT GIRING GO GET A LIFE AND STOP BEING RACIST TOT HE MEXIKANZ THAT MADE THIS LAND YOU LIVE ON NUFF SAID.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Who drinks liquified cucumber ? that's what it taste like . oh right mexicans in flea markets. go to a flea market and you'll see plenty of pepinos walking around. no muchas gracias , i like my gatorade in red yellow and orange .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO HELP YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!! IDIOT

      Delete
  24. Hmmm... March 2011? Oo

    I live in south Texas and have never noticed this flavor before. I saw it this past weekend at a HEB grocery store. My initial reaction was "wtf" and I'm not sure if it was out of surprise or being grossed out. Out of curiosity I decided to buy it. As soon as you open it the smell is overwhelmingly cucumber. I was afraid to taste it but it's surprisingly pleasant. It's weird but the taste grows on you. This would be perfect with some crushed mint leaves, sugar or simple syrup and rum. MUST BUY MORE.


    PS. I love flamin hot limon cheetos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bought this drink because it was on sale. As I was walking out of the store I opened the bottle, and took a sip. After drinking a sip I immediately thought to myself "Ok, I'm never doing this again!" and found the nearest trash can and put it where it belonged. Worst thing to ever be made to make people think it's a beverage!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Why did it take 7 minutes to open the bottle hahahahaha?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Once I open the bottle I got to drink it all bomb ass shit on a hot Bakersfield day...

    ReplyDelete