Monday, March 7, 2011

5 Things About Which I'm Pumped

1.  Getting to read for fun
I haven't read a book for fun since Christmas.  The birth of baby Jesus 2,000 years ago made my school close and they didn't make me read books so I read All The Pretty Horses.  I think of it as On The Road for cowboys.  I want to read some comic books and the subtitles for shitty video games.  Baby Jesus dies in April, so, another break.

2.  Getting to write for fun
I haven't really wrote anything new since last semester when I was writing some sort of collaborative poems with a friend.  I want to write a new book.  I want to write blog posts again.  I want to write on bathroom walls without feeling guilty for not working on my god-damned thesis.  I feel like George Lucas and Star Wars.  Return of the Jedi is over, now I can fucking make the shit out of Howard the Duck.

Seriously love this book.  I picked it up because my advisor said it is like my manuscript, and it is.  Some Thing Black was written by Jacques Roubaud, whose wife, a photographer by the name of Alix Cleo Roubaud, dies.  He thinks/suspects/wishes that she haunts him through her self-portraits which are beautiful and scary.  Every poem is nine verse paragraphs/stanzas long.  In the back of the book is about 15 pages of her photography.  This is what it looks like:


Yeah, any real show in Marfa is a great reason to go there.  Artsy folks out there should be shamed into going to Marfa.  I was down with going when it was just Mumford and Sons and Old Crow Medicine Show, but I love Edward Sharp.  Wishing I could stay at the Rock Hudson Suite, but it's booked up.

5.

1 comment: