Monday, July 18, 2011

Novel Length Short Story: The Pearl by John Steinbeck



So I just finished reading a novel.  It was short-ish, but reminded of what Gabe said back in short story month about genres of length.  The Pearl feels like a short story.  I really don't think I would have read it or kept reading it if I didn't HAVE to take baths because my bathroom only has a tub.  My copy is all old and shit.  I'm fine with dropping it in the water.

This is really just to say, that yes, short stories over 100 pages exist.

4 comments:

  1. yo, that's called a novella. the pearl is sad and the only steinbeck i like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really not a novella. It's too long to be a novella. But it "feels like" a short story, for a lot of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Action is not that complicated and gives space for the reader's imagination to take control.

    ReplyDelete